Sunday, January 15, 2012

Palm Springs Film Festival: Brangelina, Clooney, Oldman, and more

On January 7th I attended the Palm Springs Film Festival.  It is about a 2.5 hour drive from Los Angeles, but Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, Gary Oldman, Glenn Close, Michelle Williams, Charlize Theron, and Jessica Chastain were all scheduled to be honored at the event and I'll drive 2.5 hours for a chance to get Brad and Anglina's autograph any day of the week.  

We got there pretty early and they were still setting up.  
In a few hours the arrivals began.  Octavia Spencer was the first to come and I got her on my Help 11x14 cast photo I'm trying to put everyone one and also on a combo 11x14 picture of her and Jessica Chastain I printed with the intent to get both. 

Tate Taylor came next and he is the director of The Help.  I called him over and he came right to me and signed my 11x14 cast piece and my 8x10 cast piece. 

Melissa McCarthy showed up next.  I did not know she was going to be there, but I really liked her in Bridesmaids so I got her autograph on a dollar.  She is really nice and seemed ecstatic to be spending time interacting with fans. 

Next to show up was George Clooney and OH MY GOSH do old ladies LOVE George Clooney.  I was in the front row and I swear I was getting crushed from the people behind me who were mostly retired Palm Springs females all desperate for a glimpse of the Clooney.  I managed to get 3 signatures from George, but in the chaos I didn't get any individuals done just created more work for myself by doing some combo shots that now need more people. 


Gary Oldman was next and the guy is always nice.  I have a lot of 11x14s already signed by him, so today I decided to get some 8x10s.  Without even struggling I got all 6 8x10s I brought signed.  The guy is great to autograph collectors. 

Next up was the main event.  Brad and Angelina.  Usually Brad and Angelina go to the end of a line start signing and move quickly and efficiently in one direction not stopping and not changing direction.  Today, however, was not the usual.  They got out of the car and were really erratic with their signing.  Signing to the left, then turning right, then skipping back ten feet to the left, then stopping and walking a bit, then coming back and signing for a 3 foot section.  No rhyme or reason to it whatsoever.  I ended up getting 2 Angelina's but for the life of me I could not get Brad.   Next time Brad Pitt. Next time. 

I thought drops were done and I was pretty bummed to have not gotten Brad, but then as I'm chatting with some friends I hear people calling "Olivia" "Olivia".  I turn around and see Olivia Wilde getting out of a town car.  She walked over and signed a few autographs.  I had one photo along with me and she signed it and I got a picture with her.  Which I was pretty happy about since every time she goes some where in LA fans tend to act crazy when she's around. 

Drops were now done so some friends and I went back to a few park benches to sit and talk about what we got.  We were there about 5 minutes and when we noticed someone was signing back by the rail.  We ran over and saw Jessica Chastain had come back out from inside the film fest because she didn't sign for us on arrivals.  Incredibly nice of her.  She signed a bunch of autographs and took some pictures with.  I added her to my cast 8x10, 11x14, my combo 11x14 with Octavia, and my individual 11x14 I had brought.  



Jessica took my day from good to great, and I drove the 2.5 hour home happy. 

Michelle Williams signed a few autographs but not in my section. 

Glenn Close and Charlize Theron didn't sign for us.  They aren't the friendliest of celebrities to the fans.  But I don't mind when someone doesn't sign. It's their choice.  
















No comments:

Post a Comment